Monday, July 25, 2011

McNature: Day 1

Five days - pure nature!  We are taking our first vacation as a family of five...to the great outdoors!  Dave and Patti kindly invited us to go camping with them.  Some highlights from day one:
  • On the drive down to the camp site, one of our 3-year-old passengers (let's call him J. McGraw) decided he didn't want to take a nap during the drive.  Instead, he felt like counting objects that passed by our car.  Here is how it went (for 10+ minutes), "16, 17, 18, 19...17!  16, 17, 18, 19...17!"   
  • His brother (let's call him J. McGraw), then proceeded to sing the ABC's (A-Z thankfully), but a mini-civil war broke out when the other J. McGraw decided to sing the same song.  A passionate declaration for ownership of the song then followed.  Luckily, all was calm when Mom explained that everyone can sing the ABC's.
  • The boys were able to try fishing for the first time today, and Joseph (warning: fish story ahead) almost caught his first fish!  As he was reeling his line back in to land, I saw a fish bite at his rubber lure.  The fish then let go, but came back and grabbed it.  Joseph's pole then began to bend, and his eyes got very wide.  I dropped my pole in excitement and ran over to him, screaming something like, "You got a fish!  You got a fish!"  Joseph, probably now more terrified of me running at him like a lunatic, dropped his pole...and (say it with me) the fish got away.
  • Besides fishing, we got all of our gear unpacked in our cabin, had a tasty dinner of brats and sweet corn, and did some evening fishing - and this time - it was I that had the fish (say it with me) that got away (a bass - I saw it, I swear). 
  • I took some pictures to document the first day of the trip, too.  I will post them when I have a better wireless connection (it is too slow to try it here).
All in all, a wonderful start to what should be a great time together as a family - stay tuned for more updates, and, don't forget, please pray for us! 

No comments: